Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Treasure Hunt

I've been wanting to do a treasure hunt for a long time. What's a treasure hunt?

Glad you asked!

It's an experience of presence evangelism.

The process consists of seeking clues from Jesus and then following the clues to find the person or people that he wants us to be present with, sharing his love and hope.

So, today Laurie and I dropped our weekly "to do list" and decided to do the treasure hunt. We got some clues which directed us to a certain area of our city. We weren't sure who we were going to find, but it was obvious when we got a drink at Starbucks and sat down across from a young man whom Laurie knew must be looking for a job.

We started up a conversation, confirmed that he was indeed looking for a job, and then told him we were on a treasure hunt and that God had directed us there to Pray for him! He was very open, seemed very thankful to receive our prayers, and promised to follow up with us on how his job interview went.

The job interview is tomorrow. He's been to several interviews where he ends up being number 2, not the hire. I have a sense that tomorrow will be a whole different experience.

I could get used to this.

I wonder what my life would look like if this is how my days went every day?
How would the world change if we followed Jesus in a treasure hunt every day?
How could we combine the busy schedule of our lives with daily treasure hunts?


I don't know the answers to these questions, but I can say that I am really enjoying the times we are living in right now. It's fun, outside the box and full of kingdom connection!

1 comment:

Laurie said...

I also blogged about this! (My version of the story.) You can read my blog at: http://laurieonlifestyle.blogspot.com/2009/10/first-treasure-hunt-yields-treasure.html

Thanks Tamara!