Sunday, October 25, 2009

The Fourth Person

Jesus has been teaching about his real presence in our lives. Today, he led me to a Scripture where he showed me that he is really present when we walk in those situations that feel like fire!

I heard him whisper "Daniel's friends in the fiery furnace" so I turned to Daniel 3 where I re-read the familiar story from my childhood of his friends, Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego who infuriated the king by not bowing down to his impressive 90 foot high golden statue. They went against the current culture by saying no to idol worship and it costs them their lives.

Almost.

They were thrown into a fiery furnace tied together and the ones that threw them in died because the fire was so hot.

Amazingly, however, they were walking around unhindered in the fire, but the King was confused by a fourth person joining them in the fire. That person, I am convinced, was Jesus. (How fun that they got to meet him hundreds of years before anyone else!)

But, this is what Jesus showed me. He is present with all of us in the fire.

Literally.

This passage illustrates his promise when he speaks in Hebrews 13: "I will never leave you or forsake you."

I was also reminded of Isaiah 43:2 which says "When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you wil not be burned, the flames will not set you ablaze."

I am comforted by this, I hope you will be too.

No comments: