Tuesday, August 25, 2009

HIking and Camping: Great Lessons for Missio Lux

A couple of days ago, I wrote about camping and how God used it to give me deeper insight about Missio Lux.

Today, my calves are sufficiently healed enough to tell you about the 11 mile hike my daughter and I took, and how God used it to teach me more about leading Missio Lux.

I've wanted to take this hike for 3 years. It's a hike across a ridge that has spectacular views of the beautiful Cascade mountains. After the steep climb up, it's a rather simple 11 mile hike, coming down into what used to be a winery.
Lesson: The anticipation of the unknown territory drives me to action!

I got right up the day of our hike, and packed lots of good sandwiches and treats to eat along the way. I was surprised when my daughter came down that morning and suggested that we do a different hike, that 11 miles felt too ambitious. After a bit of tug and war, we decided to go.
Lesson: Not everyone around us will be up for the unknown adventure.

The first few miles up were challenging. I knew better than to complain, that would have given my daughter the ability to say, "I told you so" about that hike. So, I just kept praying over and over, "Lord, give me your supernatural energy from above, the same energy you used to create the universe." (taken from Colossians 1:28)
Lesson: Continual prayer takes me through the rough spots.

Eventually, we made it to the top. We didn't see the views at first that I was expecting. It all looked pretty much the same. I just kept anticipating what we were going to see; enjoying the process of getting there.
Lesson: it's the journey that matters, not always the destination.

When we did hit a vista, wow, the view! Everything changed for my daughter then, she was able to literally see, what I had been envisioning in my mind for 3 years. We began to move more as partners and more expectant for what was in front of us.
Lesson: Many people will jump on board once the train is running.

We had some great conversations with the people we met at the top, and felt like we had connected with them in meaningful ways.
Lesson: Being in unfamiliar places brings unlikely friendships.

We started down the ridge--it was much quicker and easier, except for the pressure on my knees.
Lesson: Different segments on church planting will take different skills and put pressure on new places.

I almost stepped on a snake--not my favorite part of the hike. It literally jumped out right in front of me and scared me enough to make me scream.
Lesson: Always be on guard for the serpent who is not on my side!

About a mile from the end, I began to allow myself a little bit of whine. I thought the end would never come. We kept checking with those on their way up and their answers varied considerably; it felt like the destination would never come.
Lesson: Don't look to other people when we are at the end of our rope, let God carry the rope!

When we finally got to the bottom, we didn't see our car. Everything looked different. We were disoriented because it looked different than what we expected. But, we checked in with our new friends from the top, and they took us to our car.
Lesson: The destination will always be different than how I envision it.

I didn't learn these life and leadership lessons from seminary; God uses everything in our lives to teach us if we open our eyes!
Lesson: I am grateful for this hike, Thank you Bonnie!

No comments: