Friday, July 31, 2009

Make New Friends....but Keep the Old....One is Silver and the Other Gold

Let’s Make Time for Some Rn’R this Summer: Relationship and Rest!
Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself until it abides in the vine, so neither can you unless you abide in me. John 15:4


Refresh your relationship with Jesus; what does this look like for you?
Relax with people whom are important to you~enjoy the friends and family God has blessed you with.
Relish the opportunities for new friendships as you participate in Missio Lux activities.
Relinquish
the summer to God~let him restore and revive you for the season to come.
Rhythm: Jesus practiced a rhythm of life and as his disciples; so should we!


Does anyone remember the song we used to sing as children? Make new friends, but keep the old, one is silver and the other gold!


Our friendships in life are invaluable to us. Some of us have friends all the way back to our childhood and they are gifts to be treasured and polished for their significance in our lives.
But, new friends bring life and a renewed sense of interest and hope to our lives. New friends widen our circle and surprise us with the little tidbits of fun information and coincidences we pick up as we spend time with one another.


Jesus knew about the value of old friends and new friends. He had his 12 disciples; they were the friends that he lived life with! But, he also had an ever increasing circle of new friends; they became his circle of 72. Eventually, they became the New Testament Church as everyone who commits to follow Jesus is called his friends.


Reflect on John 15:12-15
“Love one another the way I loved you. This is the very best way to love. Put your life on the line for your friends. You are my friends when you do the things I command you. I'm no longer calling you servants because servants don't understand what their master is thinking and planning. No, I've named you friends because I've let you in on everything I've heard from the Father.”


When I take in the reality that the One who created the entire universe draws close to me and calls me his friend, it changes my perspective on my life and my world. I realize the depth of value I carry because my “friend Jesus” gives it to me by telling me that he’s letting me in on all the Father’s wisdom and plans. His love to me shows me how to love those around me.


It also reminds me that if Jesus felt a need to expand his circle of friendships, I should follow his example as well. I have much to offer a friend because I can share God’s love with them. I can also share an invitation to join our missio community because I know that their life will be blessed through the experience.


Our commitment to RnR this summer is to abide through engaging relationship and rest. My summer has been filled with BBQ’s, dinners, picnics, hikes, blueberry picking, concerts in the park~all great invites to people that I am seeking to know better by spending time with them!


Jesus told us that one of his biggest priorities is for us to go and make disciples. We do this best through relationship. Standing on street corners preaching doesn’t make too many disciples; in fact, it can stand in the way of making disciples.


But, genuinely caring about people, inviting them into our lives, being interested in their lives, does open the door for a conversation about Jesus after trust has been built.


Very often it comes in the form of a comment such as “You seem to live differently than most people. You don’t seem as worried about your finances as others; or as stressed about your children; or as concerned about your job security….or a number of other observations that opens the door for us to speak about the peace we have because we know that Jesus is in control of our lives, so we don’t have to worry!


Missio Lux is committed to creating opportunities for you to continue to build new friendships. It isn’t really an option for us if we are committed to following Jesus and modeling our life after his. In our structure of creating missio communities, it is easier to invite new people into our lives and to make time for them through the real life that takes place in our communities.


There’s still time left for you to invite some new friends to come and experience Missio Lux through the Thursday night concerts in the park, our Celebration on August 16th, parties with a purpose for Children of the Nations (check the website for dates), and baseball on August 12th.


Here’s my challenge to you: Pray and ask Jesus to show you who it is that he is pointing out to you to come alongside as a new friend.

It will be someone that you enjoy and brings greater meaning to your life. Invite them to check out Missio Lux through one of the fun abiding activities we have this summer! Then, email me or call me about your new friend as you follow Jesus’ example and make new friends of silver.

No comments: