Sunday, December 14, 2008

Jesus Reached Down

One morning a few days ago, Jesus met me and the new vision of himself that he gave me has not faded one bit, it continues to reach out and grab my heart and encourage me to keep moving forward as I am not alone, he is with me.

Psalm 121 is a familiar psalm, but with understanding two of the key words better, it's changed the impact considerably:

I will lift up my eyes to the hills;

From where shall my Help come?

My Help comes from the LORD,

Who created heaven and earth.

The word "help" is called "ezer" in Hebrew. This is the same word that is used in Genesis where God created Eve and called her Adam's "ezer" help. Many have translated this role to be an inferior position to Adam, but the reality is that Eve brings the supernatural, compaionship help that is equal to the creation of the universe. This isn't inferior help in my opinion!

We have Jesus as our "help" as he comes alongside us as our companion, but not in a weak sense, he brings the supernatural power that created the universe. So, there it is, it's a relational help but also one that is is mighty to transform.

The LORD will Keep you from all evil;

He will keep your life.

The LORD will keep your going out and your coming in from this time forth and forever.

The second key word "Keep" is one that means "guard, protect, and watch over." Imagine the reality that we have Jesus with us every moment standing guard, protecting and watching over us just as a new parent watches over their newborn.

Our daughter Heather is on a 9 month journey around the world. It's given me great peace to think of Jesus being present with her guarding over and keeping her just as I did when she was first brought home from the hospital.

Knowing that Jesus is my ezer and that he keeps me from evil, protects my life and watches over every part of my day has given me great peace through this advent season. I find myself soaring in my spirit, being so thankful for every moment of the day because I sense his presence in a new and delightful way.

This is my prayer for each one of you who reads this blog toda; may the "ezer" Jesus touch you in new places of your life today, tomorrow and forever.

No comments: