Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Celebrating Our New Day

Today was a day that we will remember, much like 9/11 or Columbine.
Most of us can tell you what we were doing when we found out about those events, except this time, it's something that we can celebrate positively. So, what were you doing when O'bama got inaugurated?

It didn't take much today to experience that patriotic feeling that I felt as a child when I would learn about how the young immigrants fought the strong British for their independence. Or, how our government was formed, or when Francis Scott Key penned the National Anthem under a sky of fighting....or how Lincoln stood for what was right when it came to slavery.

But, seeing the vast crowds gathered for the inauguaration and listening to O'bama call all of us to action, acknowledging the challenges, but calling for every American to step up, that makes me want to step up. It makes me want to recognize the potential we have to be light in the world, to stand for what is good, and right and honorable. It makes me want to be the best person I can be, because it takes all of us being our best selves and we can be a place of hope once again.

Some of you may be saying, "I didn't vote for him and I don't feel as enthusiastic about him as our president." I get that, but my hope is that we will take seriously our call to pray for our leaders in 1 Tim 2: 1-3a:
"I urge, then, first of all that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone, for kings (and presidents) and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. This is good and pleases God our Savior."

Let's take this Scripture seriously and pray for our new government because this pleases Jesus. and, who knows what can happen when every Jesus follower takes this seriously, the result will be beyond our wildest dreams.

No comments: