Friday, August 5, 2011

The Gift of Abiding

"She who abides in me shall bear much fruit, for apart from me, she can do nothing." Jesus


Missio Lux has learned to follow the rhythmic pattern of abide and bear fruit in our yearly schedule.  We take two times of abide: the first is the two weeks between Christmas and New Years, and the second and most important is the month of July.  We don't meet and everyone experiences a different pace and often location for the month!


My time in San Francisco during the month of July was much needed.  I was extremely exhausted by the end of the ministry year....I limped towards the finish line at the end of June.


So, as we often find our self worth through how busy and important we are, I experienced a sense of just the opposite in July.  I found that I wasted as much time as I could, after I finished writing in the early afternoon.  I did nothing a LOT....just because I could and at times, it was the most refreshing thing I could do!


I was quiet a lot.  I didn't know anyone in the city, except Bill, and he was often gone long hours.  I kept my phone calls to a minimum so I could recharge relationally~even though I am an extrovert, I was talked out!


I slept a lot.  I got up when I woke up, and I took naps when I felt like I needed one.


I did three of the things that recharge me the most:  I wrote and I walked and I read.


I spent time with Bill; enjoying the carefree life of no yard, no big house to take care, and no children to worry about....


and most of all, I spent a lot of time with Jesus.  I took as long as I wanted with him in the mornings; I chatted with him as I walked through the city, and I sensed his pleasure when I seriously enjoyed every aspect of the abide!  

No comments: