Friday, June 6, 2008

Which Psalm Really?

I read this on the Mustard Seed newsletter and thought that it describes a 21st century American's life.
Seed Smile: Psalm 23, Antithesis
by Marcia K. Hornok, as quoted in Living On Purpose by Christine and Tom Sine

The clock is my dictator, I shall not rest.
It makes me lie down only when exhausted.
It leads me into deep depression, it hounds my soul.
It leads me in circles of frenzy for activitiy's sake.
Even though I run frantically from task to task,
I will never get it all done, for my "ideal" is with me.
Deadlines and my need for approval, they drive me.
They demand performance from me, beyond the limits of my schedule.
They anoint my head with migraines, my in-basket overflows.
Surely fatigue and time pressure shall follow me all the days of my life,
And I will dwell in the bonds of frustration forever.

by Marcia K. Hornok, as quoted in Living On Purpose by Christine and Tom Sine

Now, let's read Psalm 23 leisurely, thinking about David writing the Psalm while he lived the simple life of tending sheep on a mountainside.
The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,
he restores my soul.
He guides me in paths of righteousness
for his name's sake.
Even though I walk
through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.
Surely goodness and love will follow me
all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD
forever.
Honestly, how did we move so far from end of the spectrum to the other?
Don't you long for a day where you can go outside and enjoy nature, knowing that the Good Shepherd is there with you?
As God's people, let's seek to live Psalm 23 and show those around us that we walk to a different clock, the one that our Shepherd has given us, and it will not cause us to dwell in the bonds of frustration forever.

No comments: