Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Starbucks Reflections

My appointment didn't show this morning at Starbucks, but since I had one in 45 minutes, I decided to stay and wait. I didn't have enough time to do anything else. It was a gift. I have a long list of to-do's because I am leaving for Colorado today, to see my parents and help them to downsize their house as they are moving into a retirement home. I am also giving a Healing Prayer Training this weekend on emotional and spiritual healing. But, in the midst of the pressure of leaving, God wanted me to hear his voice and experience his heart.

I continue to hear Jesus ask me the same question lately: "Do you believe that I am for you?" As I hear this question, I read the answer all over the Bible. Paul's letters are full of the answer. He begins the letter to Ephesus with the statement, "God has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly realms." Every means that nothing is withheld from us.

So, why does it seem that we all believe that God is withholding something from us?

As I listen to people, and listen to myself, I know that this is the question we are all asking:
Is God trustworthy?
Is his love for us enough?
Does he love us?
Can he bring good into our lives?
Does he want us to experience good?

When we open up the Scriptures, we hear the answer. Yes, he loves us so much that he sent his beloved son to earth, not just to hang out with us, but to die so that we can have life.
Is God trustworthy?
Why do we ask this question and not the reverse?
Is Satan trustworthy? I don't hear many people asking that question. Why?

It is the Garden. It all started in the Garden when the Serpent told enough truth mixed with a giant lie that caused Eve to question God's charater and his provision. Eve bit, and we have been biting too, ever since.

Today, as I reflected at Starbucks, I struggled with how to wrestle with this in Missio Lux so that we can stand in the place of truth: knowing God is for us, and that it is the enemy that cannot be trusted. We must figure this out and begin to live from a different place: the place of spiritual riches, not spiritual poverty.

Then, my appointment came. Guess what his question he wanted to discuss with me was. It is the question of our lives. Let's start wrestling and get to the place of knowing, not just in our heads, but in our lives experientially, relationally, the truth.

No comments: