Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Missio: Being Sent Out

Luke 9:1-2 is a Scripture that I keep returning to over and over as I spend time getting to know God better. It's the turning point in Luke when Jesus says identifies his guys, the disciples that he chooses to invest his energies into. He says to them "We've spent good time together getting to know one another, you've watched me do what I do, now I want you to go and do the same."
I can imagine that their eyes must have been wide considering that right before Jesus tells them to go and do what does, he brought a dead girl back to life. I can also imagine that they wondered how in the world they could do anything close to that; where would the power come from?
So, Jesus commissions them by saying, "Take my power and authority to drive out demons and to cure diseases." He sent them out to proclaim the Kingdom of God and to heal the sick.
Jesus' disciples were missio: they were sent out. They were sent out to realize that following Jesus means we have what he has. We have the power of the Holy Spirit and we have the authority of his name~and the combination of the two brings forth God's heart for the world: freedom from oppression and freedom from disease and illness. We also have the message of hope: Missio Lux: the mission of light.

Reflect on this:
How has your walk with Christ included healing, deliverance and hope for others?
What needs to change so that you can align your life to walk in Christ's power and authority to see healing, deliverance and hope be part of following Jesus in your life?

No comments: